The main objective of the funding scheme is to fund examples of buildings which will enhance cultural heritage features, landscape, wildlife and public engagement with the environment
This grant is a standalone capital grant available through FiPL and pays up to 80% of eligible costs towards restoration of eligible historic buildings
HBRG capital funding is only available for the financial year 24/25. Although applications can be approved and onward agreements issued in 23/24, no approved HBRG project activities can start, or be claimed before 1 April 2024.
This funding cannot be used for work that has already started, prior to an agreement
With additional FiPL funding, potentially the building can be diversified, e.g., converted into a classroom to host educational visits
Buildings that are particularly rare or vulnerable in their materials will be the highest priority; this includes thatch, historic cladding and mud and stud walls
Requirements for the funding are:
- The footprint of the building must be within the Surrey Hills AONB boundary
- The building must be visible on OS maps dated prior to 1940
- The building must be brought back into a state of “good repair” and be structurally sound and weatherproof
Capital repair items available for funding:
- Roof coverings
- Structural work
What the grant cannot pay for:
- Capital works that have already started.
- Planning application fees
- Meeting legal requirements
- Any works undertaken as part of another grant or obligation
- Ruined buildings – buildings which are less than 50% complete are ineligible for funding
- Modern buildings
- Non-roofed structures
- Buildings not marked on an OS map dated before 1940
- Buildings which have received grant funding in the past
- Historic buildings which have already been converted
For your project to be approved by Defra, the application will need to meet the eligibility requirements, pass a scoring threshold and be one of the highest priorities for funding when reviewed by the Defra panel.
If you have a building which you think may be eligible, please contact Jenna and Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your ideas further.