Recruitment of new Chair of the Surrey Hills Board
26th July 2022
The Surrey Hills National Landscape are recruiting for a new Chair of their Board.
Main Purpose of the Role
To provide leadership and strategic direction to the Surrey Hills AONB Board and champion the activities of the Surrey Hills family.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Chair meetings of the AONB Board and sub-groups and to guide the AONB Director on the agenda and approach to meetings.
- Provide general advice and guidance to the AONB Director and AONB team to ensure that the AONB Management Plan outcomes and objectives are closely linked to government funding
- Champion the interests of the Surrey Hills AONB and gain support for the aims, priorities, and delivery of the AONB Management Plan and the work of the Surrey Hills AONB family.
- Foster supportive and inclusive partnerships in support of the work of the AONB, building mutually beneficial relationships with all interested bodies working in the countryside, including partnerships with organisations representing those traditionally excluded from the countryside.
- Ensure effective cooperation between the Surrey Hills AONB Board and the constituent members of the Surrey Hills family.
- Assist in maintaining a positive relationship with the host local authority, balancing the benefits of integration with the interests of all partners and with the need for the Board and the wider AONB family.
- Represent the AONB Board on a variety of networks (local, regional and national); participate in activities of the National Association for AONBs to help champion a more consistent approach across the family of landscape designations.
- Continue to play a prominent role in the on-going review of the Surrey Hills AONB Boundary (led by Natural England), as a member of the Management Advisory Group for the project. (It will be important that the incoming Chair has no conflicts of interest in this regard.)
- Take an active interest in the work of the AONB Board, including staff members and working groups.
- Maintain an understanding of the issues facing the AONB and to undertake such training and seminars as may be necessary.
- Fulfil their duties in a manner that is free from political bias and influence
- Encourage AONB Board Members to act in the interests of the Surrey Hills AONB and
- Work with the wider family of protected landscapes, ensuring that the AONB considers issues and opportunities outside of its boundaries and between other protected landscapes to support nature recovery.
To apply and ask any questions about the role, please contact email@example.com.
Applications close on 5 September and interviews are provisionally on 23 September at the Surrey Hills office Warren Farm Barns, Mickleham.