Woodland which is well-managed for barbastelles also provides habitat opportunities for other woodland bats, woodpeckers, deadwood invertebrates and many species of flying insect.
Opportunities to create/improve/extend suitable habitat for this species include:
- Thinning to encourage the development of the woodland shrub layer
- Managing veteran trees
- Creating and managing rides and glades
- Managing drainage to conserve damp woodland areas
- Controlling deer
- Planting new hedgerows to improve landscape connectivity
- Extending the hedge management cycle to allow hedges to grow taller and wider.
Creating and managing areas for the Barbastelle bat will help deliver the following benefits to communities: